A great year for film! The future of Film Photography explored at the 2010 PDN Photo Expo, NYC. Interviews include Scott DeSabato – Marketing Manager, Eastman Kodak Company, Keith Canham – Canham large format cameras, Eric Joseph – Freestyle Photographic Supplies and Michelle Bates – author, “Plastic Cameras: Toying with Creativity. ” Plus “Plastic Cameras” book giveaway and more!
A great year for film! The future of Film Photography
explored at the 2010 PDN Photo Expo, NYC.
- First up, Duane and I interviewed FPP listener Mat Marrash. Mat trekked out from Ohio to visit NYC. He had his Temba camera bag stuffed with cameras!!!
- We also met up with FPP listeners Michael Calleia and Robert Tuttle. Both guys spent a few minutes with Duane and myself discussing cameras and film.
I chatted with Mike Zawadzki from Unique Photo about Unique supporting film and hands-on instructions on using film cameras.
Michelle Bates (pictured above) was at the Freestyle Photographic booth signing copies of her new book – “PLASTIC CAMERAS Toying with Creativity.” She was kind enough to chat with me about her her new book and experiences with Holga cameras.
We’re giving away one copy of Michelle’s new book on The Film Photography Podcast. To enter…entries must be in by November 19, 2010. One winner will be picked at random on our December podcast. Oh no, you missed it! But fear not, check out the latest podcast for current giveaways!
Eric Joseph from Freestyle Photographic Supply (pictured above) had a brisk chat with Duane discussing the bright future of film photography.
- We recently launched our YouTube channel with the hope of bringing more of our audio segments “to life” via video. The URL is: youtube.com/user/FilmPhotographyTube
- Below is the most recent video: “How to Use a Polaroid Pack Camera.”
- Duane and I were thrilled to interview Keith Canham. Keith (pictured below) is owner of Canham Cameras, Inc., specializing in custom made, large format cameras designed for professional photographers. Keith’s special project is working directly with Eastman Kodak and photographers around the world to assure that film stock is available for large format cameras.
- Scott DeSabato, Marketing Manager, Professional Film, Eastman Kodak Company (pictured middle above w/ Duane Polcou and Keith Canham) was on hand to share and discuss information about new film stocks and the bright outlook for film photography. According to Scott, “It’s been a great year for film.”
- You can hear all the interviews above and more by listening to Episode 19 – November 5, 2010 film photography podcast at http://filmphotographypodcast.com
Note: The Film Photography Podcast is weekly through December 1st!
Film Photography Podcast Episode 20 / November 12, 2010
Passion for Instant Film Photography: A Conversation with Dr. Florian Kaps and Dave Bias – The Impossible Project (pictured below)
Film Photography Podcast Episode 21 / November 19, 2010
FPP Studio (pictured above) roundtable with Michael Raso, Duane Polcou and John Fedele
Film Photography Podcast Episode 22 / November 26, 2010
A conversation with artist April-Lea Hutchinson, April (pictured below) is a photographer and model from London Ontario
“My work as a photographer is part of a longstanding relationship with the camera that began with modeling. I have a fondness for film and a deep desire to photograph people as people, breaking from expected norms of beauty. In my work, I look for emotion, try to tell a story, and reveal the beauty in my characters. Beyond the aesthetic qualities imparted by instant film and long exposures, my empathetic relationship with the person in front of the camera infuses my images with comfortable intimacy and perhaps a touch of nostalgia. I create timeless images using a mix of Medium Format and Polaroid Film. I am a purist at heart.”
See everyone next week!
Special thanks to
Show notes by Michael Raso
All Images © 2010 Michael Raso (unless otherwise noted)